Are you looking for a grown-up getaway? Family vacations can be a lot of fun, but sometimes the best vacation is one that's reserved just for the adults. No matter where you want to travel or what kind of vacation getaways you enjoy, there are plenty of options to consider.
Beach Resorts for Adults
Does your idea of a perfect grown-up vacation involve a luxurious beach resort? One of these options is sure to fit the bill.
If you're looking for a romantic island getaway, consider visiting a Sandals resort. Known as "all-inclusive Caribbean resorts specifically designed for romance," Sandals caters to the needs of couples in love. That's why Totem Travel says these resorts are the best choice "for a romantic getaway, honeymoon or destination wedding with a couples-only format." Whether your idea of a romantic getaway involves romantic strolls along the beach, lounging in your room, spa treatments or activities like boating, diving or golf, a Sandals resort has it all.
- The accommodations are luxurious and, according to Totem Travel, have a traditional design.
- Options include standard rooms, beach-facing villas and luxurious suites with butler service.
- Choose among several Caribbean destinations, including Jamaica, Saint Lucia, Antigua, the Bahamas, Grenada and Barbados.
Secrets Resorts & Spas
Secrets Resorts & Spas is another great all-inclusive beach resort option for grown-ups only, though they are quite different from Sandals properties. While Secrets can be a great choice for couples, the resorts aren't limited only to romantic escapes. Totem Travel recommends this resort for adults traveling with friends, adult relatives traveling together, singles and "couples that find PDA's a bit much." It's no surprise that a TripAdvisor reviewer described her trip to the Secrets Resort in Cancun as "the best girls' getaway ever!!"
- Accommodations at Secrets are upscale and elegant. Totem Travel indicates that the rooms at Secrets tend to be more contemporary in design than Sandals.
- Each room has a separate living area, a Jacuzzi tub and either a balcony or terrace.
- Secrets has 16 locations throughout the Caribbean, in Mexico, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic. Costa Rica and Panama.
Inns Just for Grown-Ups
You don't have to visit a huge resort just to enjoy a grown-up escape. There are many lovely inns with on-site spas catering only to adults. A few examples include:
Crowne Pointe Historic Inn & Spa
Located in downtown Provincetown on Cape Cod, Crowne Pointe Historic Inn & Spa is a wonderful destination for adults looking for "a quiet escape and romantic getaway" in New England. The historic inn was once a sea captain's estate and no children are allowed. It has only 40 rooms, each of which provides a luxurious spot to relax and reconnect with your partner. Some are suites and many have fireplaces and/or whirlpools and the rooms all face a gorgeous courtyard.
- The decor is traditional, with colors and furnishings designed with relaxation and tranquility in mind. Fodors brags about the antique furnishings and attention to detail.
- The property is three miles from the beach.
- Wonderful dining is available on-site at The Pointe restaurant.
Ventana Big Sur
Ventana Big Sur, a Joie de Vivre property, is a California inn and spa designed with the interests of its grown-up guests in mind. There are 62 guest rooms, some of which are villas and suites. All the accommodations offer patios and spectacular views of the surrounding scenery. Many feature in-room fireplaces, and some have outside spas for the ultimate in relaxation.
- The decor is a mixture of rustic and elegant for the ultimate in a relaxing, upscale, yet outdoorsy, escape. Oyster.com states that it is "like a rustic cabin nestled in the woods," yet it's also modern and luxurious.
- According to Oyster.com, the inn's goal "is to create a zen, holistic retreat" for its guests.
- The Restaurant at Ventana provides wonderful meals that are locally sourced and sustainable.
Grown-Up Outdoor Adventures
If your travel interests are more focused on outdoor adventures, you can still find adults-only options. Check out:
- O.A.R.S. Adult & Singles Vacations: Offering adventure vacations just for adults, O.A.R.S., provides adventure travel opportunities for vacationers to visit spectacular outdoor destinations throughout the U.S. as well as select international destinations. Some departures are simply designated as adults-only while others are specifically designed for singles and solo travelers. Trip options include sea kayaking, white water rafting, hiking, or multiple sports. Leading outdoor retailer R.E.I. partners with O.A.R.S., indicating that the tour operator "has been delivering superior service with top quality guides and impeccably maintained equipment" since 1969.
- Paddlefoot Adult Programs: If you enjoy canoeing and would like to get a unique perspective on the Canadian Wilderness, a Paddlefoot adult program might be a perfect vacation for you. You can schedule a grown-ups-only canoeing adventure for groups as small as four people or as large as 200. Because there is a four-person minimum, this isn't an option for solo couples, but it's a great option for groups of grown-up friends, multiple couples and adult relatives who enjoy outdoor adventures. They focus on providing high-quality adventures designed with safety and connection with nature in mind.
Age-Group Specific Adult Tours
Group tours are a great option whether you are traveling alone or with friends, family or a romantic partner. Grown-up only tours for specific age groups include:
- ELDERTREKS: As the name suggests, ELDERTREKS offers tours only for mature adults. Catering solely to travelers age 50 and over, this company offers "off-the-beaten-path, small-group adventures by both land and sea in over 100 countries." Tour groups are kept to 16 or fewer people. Options include hiking, cruising and more, with options available on multiple continents. According to Tourism-Review.com, the "repeat client rate is an impressive 75%" for this tour operator - so they must be doing something right!
G Adventures: Mature adults aren't the only ones who can book group tours limited to like-minded people in their own age group. G Adventures offers travel tours to people in the 18 to 30-year-old age group. Subscribing to the YOLO (you only live once) philosophy, this company offers great active trips packed with adventure that are also designed to help young travelers make the most of a limited budget. Tour groups are small and the company emphasizes sustainable tourism with destinations all over the world. They are a Stride Preferred tour company and have a 90% recommendation rate on StrideTravel.com.
While most cruises are open to everyone, many cruise ships offer adults-only areas making them a good option for people who do want to travel with their families but who want to enjoy grown-up only time during their vacation. One example is Carnival's Serenity Adult Only retreat, a special area reserved just for those 21 and up. However, that may not be kid-free enough for travelers looking for a truly adult-focused vacation.
Fortunately, there are also a number of truly adults-only cruise options to consider, including match-making cruises for single adults and those focused on particular interests. For example, there are clothing-optional cruises, cruises for "lifestyle couples," gay cruises and more.
Enjoy Your Grown-Up Vacation
Adult vacations come in many forms, from romance to getaways with lifelong friends or coworkers to adventure travel. There are more travel options than ever before catering to adult tastes to help you find the perfect trip to truly get away from it all!