Inexpensive getaways combine the desire for relaxation and the need for frugality. There are many destinations that fit this combination. Here are a few ideas.
New Orleans, Louisiana
New Orleans is a cosmopolitan city known for its diverse culture, food and music. New Orleans has rebuilt since the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina. It is now one of the most desirable and affordable destinations in the country.
Things to See and Do
There's something for everyone in the Big Easy. Here are a few of the activities available in New Orleans.
- Visit the historic French Quarter and Jackson Square
- Ride a riverboat on the Mississippi River
- Listen to jazz on Bourbon Street
- Tour the unique and beautiful above ground cemeteries
- Drink chicory coffee and munch beignets at the French Market
- Shop for antiques
- Stuff yourself on delicious seafood and Cajun specialties
- Watch the New Orleans Saints play in the Superdome
- Stroll through the Audubon Nature Institute
Amtrak Train Packages for Inexpensive Getaways
Many travelers forget that train travel can be a joy. You can view the scenery without the hassle of driving. Just think, no traffic and no getting lost! You will also avoid long waits in security lines at the airport. On a train trip, you just sit back and enjoy the ride.Amtrak is the passenger rail system owned by the Federal government. Established in 1971, it provides train service to 500 destinations in the U.S. and Canada.
Amtrak offers affordable packages to destinations. They usually include train fare from a major city, hotel accommodations and an activity, such as a sightseeing tour or theater tickets. Here is a sampling of some of the packages:
- Washington, DC packages include round trip rail from an eastern hub city, two nights accommodations and your choice of admission to one of three museums. Optional meals, tours and transfers can be added for an additional fee.
- Chicago packages include round trip rail from one of four hubs, two nights stay at a Chicago hotel and admission to the Chicago Skydeck. Additional activities, show tickets and meals can be added for a price.
- San Diego excursions include round trip rail from four hubs, two nights accommodations and admission to the San Diego Zoo. Other optional items may be added for a fee.
Amtrak Vacations also offers longer excursions which visit multiple cities. These may range from eight to 13 nights. Meals, accommodations and sightseeing activities are included.
There is no place like Las Vegas. Few other places in the world offer you the opportunity to go home with more money than you came with. It makes Las Vegas the king of inexpensive getaways.
Even if you don't win big, Las Vegas is still an affordable destination. Food prices, especially in the casino buffets are low. Hotel packages combine affordable airfare with discounted room rates. You can even be entertained for free at one of the many lounge shows, like the one at the Excalibur, or casino extravaganzas, such as the circus acts at Circus Circus.
While gambling is a major attraction in Las Vegas, there are many more things to do. For example, you can:
- Tour the Hoover Dam, just 30 miles from Las Vegas
- Shop in world-class boutiques and malls
- Watch premier entertainers in the major casino shows
- View the Bellagio Hotel fountain display
- See the Fremont Street Experience downtown
- Browse through the Liberace Museum
- Take a gondola ride at the Venetian