Romantic spa vacations can be the perfect way to relax and reinvigorate your relationship, particularly after a stressful time in your life. There are many options to choose from to make your spa vacation as individual as your relationship.
Planning Romantic Spa Vacations
The intimacy of sharing a soothing spa treatment in a relaxing, nurturing setting is a perfect stage for a romantic vacation. The warmth of the massage, the scent of the precious oils or the invigoration of the mineral rub may be just what you and your partner need to lull you into a self-indulgent time that you can share together.
Basic Spa Vacation Decisions
Whether you have a week to spend together, or just a weekend, you can personalize your spa vacation to meet your specific needs. Where you go, how long you are gone and what you do when you get there is totally up to you. The first step is for the two of you to make some basic decisions about your vacation such as:
- Vacation length The number of nights away will have a big impact on the total cost of your vacation. The longer you stay, the bigger the cost. You might want to split your enjoyment over several mini vacations of a few days. Or, maybe a week or two on a tropical island is in your plan.
- Budget Spa vacations don't have to be expensive. Hotels and resorts offering spa facilities have a wide range of prices from the affordable to the super expensive.
- Amount of spa activities Not everyone wants to spend the same percentage of their vacation day enjoying a spa activity. Some prefer to add a few spa activities and treatments to their vacation, spending the majority of their time with their partner at the water, shopping or enjoying the hotel room. Others enjoy the total relaxation of a full-immersion spa experience which includes morning to night treatment and fitness activities.
Consider Your Spa Options
Once you have made the basic decisions you can start to find the perfect destination. A website like spafinder.com is an easy way to look at a wide variety of spa options. The pictures, rates and guest features will give you a good idea of what to expect at each destination.A new experience is a great romance starter. Don't be afraid to try something new - a vacation destination that you would not usually try. Here are a few examples:
- If you want to experience the desert experience, consider a spa like Miraval, outside of Tucson, Arizona. A full-immersion spa experience like the Miraval offers spa treatments, a fully-equipped fitness center, an equestrian center and an excellent golf course - all in the beauty of the Southwestern desert.
- If you are looking for the informal relaxation of a beach resort, a destination such as the Blue Bay Getaway and Spa Resort, an all-inclusive Cancun beach resort, might be a better fit for your vacation personality. A resort hotel with a spa facility lets you enjoy the features of the hotel along with the relaxation of the spa.
- If you are looking for relaxation in a gourmet atmosphere, a specialty hotel, like the Sonoma Mission Inn in the middle of the California wine country, may be the perfect destination. You can decide how you want to spend your day - spa relaxation, shopping, wine tasting or private time are all under your control.
Share Expectations for Your Romantic Spa Experience
The key to romantic spa vacations is to be sure that you and your partner are in agreement about the "spa" portion of the vacation.
Some spas provide luxurious, well-appointed rooms with all the features of a five-star hotel. Some spas purposely provide a more "Spartan" existence so that you can concentrate more on the mental well-being aspects of the spa experience and less on the surroundings. Nothing can ruin a romantic spa vacation as quickly as one partner looking for a couple massage and the other looking for a television in the room to watch the playoffs.
Be sure that the spa offers the range of services, equipment and options that you both need to relax. Maybe the road to romance for you both is for one to spend the day in the spa, while the other spends the day on the golf course - meeting for dinner and the evening together.
Be sure that you and your partner are in agreement about your dining expectations during your spa vacation. You may have a less-than romantic moment at your first meal if you are looking forward to healthy, nutritious meals and your partner is waiting for red meat and potatoes.
Romance Can Be Last Minute
Many a romantic holiday has been a last minute getaway. Low cost airfare is offered at the last minute by many major carriers. Online travel sites like Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia and Booking Buddy offer great package deals to resort hotels with spa facilities.