In order to get the most out of a vacation to majestic Lake Tahoe, a good Tahoe trip planner is essential. Nestled in the Sierra Nevada Mountains at an altitude of over 6,000 feet above sea level, Lake Tahoe owes its crystal blue waters to the thin, crisp mountain air. Residing in both California and Nevada, this natural wonder and the surrounding area offers something for everyone year-round. Tahoe is divided into two different shores (with two distinct personalities), South and North.
For those who cherish both outdoor adventure and a vibrant nightlife, South Tahoe is a perfect option. With world-class skiing, the area's largest casinos, and plenty of year-round activities, South Tahoe is the lake's more cosmopolitan shore.
Skiing and Snowboarding
- Heavenly - The largest ski resort in all of California and Nevada, Heavenly covers almost 5,000 acres and features 30 lifts and 95 runs.
- Kirkwood - Kirkwood is a medium-sized mountain with 12 lifts and 65 runs located on scenic Highway 88.
- Sierra-at-Tahoe -Slightly smaller that Kirkwood, Sierra-at-Tahoe boasts of its close proximity to Sacramento and features 12 lifts and 46 runs.
- Harrah's Lake Tahoe - Harrah's Lake Tahoe features an eighteen story hotel, a 12,000 square foot family fun center, and plenty of entertainment and is located just two blocks from The Gondola at Heavenly.
- MontBleu Resort, Casino and Spa - The MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa features over 400 rooms, and is less than one mile from Heavenly.
- Harvey's Lake Tahoe - Harvey's Lake Tahoe is another spacious, family friendly resort and casino located across the street from Harrah's Lake Tahoe.
- Lake Tahoe Horizon Casino - The Lake Tahoe Horizon Casino is a full service resort and casino with eight movie screens, live music, and entertainment.
- Lakeside Inn and Casino - For those who favor smaller and more intimate settings, try the Lakeside Inn and Casino.
More rugged and less developed, North Tahoe features many of the same amenities as South Tahoe in a more subdued, relaxed setting.
Skiing and Snowboarding
- Northstar-at-Tahoe - A medium sized mountain just six miles from the lake, Northstar-at-Tahoe features 17 lifts and over 80 runs.
- Squaw Valley USA - Second only to Heavenly in size, Squaw Valley USA hosted the 1960 Winter Olympics and has 34 lifts and over 170 runs.
- Tahoe Biltmore Lodge & Casino - Located in the town of Crystal Bay, the Tahoe Biltmore Lodge & Casino boasts of reasonably priced lodging with a main hotel and cottages that overlook the lake.
- Cal-Neva Resort, Spa and Casino - Also located in Crystal Bay, the historic Cal-Neva Resort, Spa & Casino was originally built in 1926. Known as "The Lady of the Lake," Cal-Neva was owned by Frank Sinatra in the early 1960s and was a favorite hangout of the Rat Pack.
- Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa and Casino - With over 400 newly renovated rooms, the Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa & Casino offers private lakeside cottages and modern amenities.
The summer months bring some of the world's best weather to Tahoe. Take advantage of the almost 200 square miles of beautiful lake surface to water ski, sail, canoe, or take a cruise. The 72 miles of coastline are perfect for spending a day relaxing and refreshing at the beach.
If golf is your game, you won't be disappointed! The Tahoe area features over 20 golf courses (from championship links to municipal courses) so everyone from the avid enthusiast to the casual weekend player can find a comfortable place to play. Many of the area's resorts also feature money-saving golf packages.
A Tahoe Trip Planner is Essential
A good Tahoe trip planner welcomes you to everything this special place has to offer. In Tahoe, some of the best skiing and snowboarding on earth, full-service casino gambling, golf, hiking, luxurious spa retreats, and boating activities all converge in one beautiful place.