There are many exciting things to do in Cozumel Mexico. Cozumel is a majestic Mexican island famous for offering some of the greatest snorkeling opportunities and corral reefs anywhere on the planet.
Cozumel is the biggest island in Mexico. Located near the eastern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula in the Caribbean, Cozumel boasts the second largest reef in the world. The wonderful tropical weather inspires divers to visit this aquatic paradise every day of the year. Cozumel is the most popular cruise ship port in Mexico, and one of the busiest ports on earth. With an enormous infrastructure of luxurious resorts and hotels, the island has the tremendous capabilities and fantastic amenities to provide a wonderful all inclusive family vacation.
Favorite Things To Do In Cozumel Mexico
Scuba Diving and Snorkeling
The spectacular corral reefs of Cozumel have long been fabled even before Jacques Cousteau brought this wonder world oasis to the world's attention. Cozumel's limestone shore is surrounded by warm, crystal-clear waters with brilliant colors, ranging from light turquoise to deep indigo. Cozumel is part of the Great Maya Barrier Reef. This amazing system extends from the Northern Yucatan to Honduras. Cozumel's twenty mile long reef system is situated off the island's southern leeward coast.
Enjoy the Beaches
The beaches in this scenic region are unlike any other island in existence. The water from the Caribbean sea is warm and colorful beyond imagination. The golden sand provides a wonderful place to relax and take it all in. The tangerine sunsets and amber sunrises from the beaches of Cozumel are extraordinary.
Types of Beaches in Cozumel
- Smooth, white sand beaches
- San Francisco Beach is among the most popular.
- These beaches can be found near the northern and southern tips of the island's well developed west side.
- The waves tend to be meek on these beaches.
- The currents can be strong, but not tremendously so.
- Currents tend to be much stronger on the north end rather than the south.
- Rocky, limestone beaches
- These beaches provide some of the best snorkeling spots on the island.
- Although beautiful, these are not the softest to walk on, so bring sandals!
- Manmade Beaches
- Most oceanfront condos, villas, resorts and hotels have manmade beaches.
- By manmade beaches, in Cozumel this means that the sand has been brought in and transplanted above the natural rocky, limestone outcroppings.
- Chankannab National Park has a man-made beach.
- These manmade beaches are wonderful for snorkeling because you can jump right into the warm water and be in the midst of extraordinary fish.
Visit the Mayan RuinsThe ancient Mayans considered Cozumel a sacred shrine, which they called the island of the shallows. At that time, the Mayans would sail from mainland to the Island to worship the goddess Ixchel, goddess of fertility and wife of the sun god. Cozumel is an island enchanted by fabulous history and mystique. Cozumel was once an impressive ceremonial center where the Maya gathered to worship, traveling from mainland Mexico. The most significant deity was Ixchel, who was the goddess of women, weaving, childbirth, the moon, medicine and pilgrims. Ixchel was the wife of Itzamná, the sun god. Taxi drivers offer a tour to the ruins for about $30, and guides charge about $20 for tours up to six people.
Enjoy the Water SportsEvery day, the tropical air above the island is filled with parasailing tourists. The water is flowing with sporting activities of every persuasion. Kayaking, banana boating, scuba diving, snorkeling, sport fishing, swimming and wave running are among the most popular options. As a popular Caribbean cruising hotspot, Cozumel offers many exciting shore excursions.
Cozumel is the gem of the Mexican Caribbean. The exquisite scenery is a vision to behold. The island has long been considered among the five best scuba diving destinations on the planet. A cruise ship utopia, this enchanting island is a tourist Mecca offering a treasure trove of extraordinary beauty. Cozumel is a magical beach vacation paradise of epic proportions. There are a plethora of amazing things to do in Cozumel Mexico!